Pneumology treatments in Switzerland
Lung, bronchi and asthma treatments in Switzerland, Zurich, Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, Lucerne, Basel, Ticino
Pulmonology and pneumology are concerned with the treatment of diseases of the lung, bronchi and surface of the lung (pleura), as well as the mediastinum (the space between the lungs). The most commonly treated diseases in pulmonology include chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD), respiratory failure, asthma, infectious diseases (lung abscess, inflammation of the lungs, tuberculosis or bronchopneumonia) and sleep apnoea.
The most common causes of pneumological diseases are: environmental pollution, hypothermia, low immunity, fatigue, and smoking.
The doctor in Pneumology (pulmonologist) treats with medication, if necessary, in conjunction with the surgeon, performes surgery.
A very important role in the treatment of diseases of the pulmonary system is climatotherapy. Switzerland, because of its geographical location, mild climate and fresh air favourably affects the recovery process of patients with problems in pneumology.
Methods of diagnosis:
- Spirometry – basic clinical method, which consists in measuring the volume and lung capacity, high-speed performance of inhalation and exhalation. For example, you can see the narrowing of the lung or respiratory discomfort flow.
- Blood gas analysis – laboratory tests that can detect the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in arterial blood; from the data obtained on can make conclusions about the state of the lungs.
- Allergy tests – the body’s response to certain antigens (items recognized as an alien) or the presence of antibodies (proteins that recognize foreign substances and block them) can also be controlled by skin tests or blood tests.
- Endoscopic techniques also play a very important role in the diagnosis. Bronchoscopy is based on the introduction into the cavity of the bronchi special tube (endoscope) through which you can: watch the view from inside the bronchi; take from the lumen of the bronchi and mucus pieces of tissue (tumor, lung tissue) for analysis. Bronchoscope is also a convenient tool for the administration of drugs directly to the disease site.
- Radiology and nuclear medicine have made significant progress in recent years, allowing for a more accurate diagnosis.
Interested? Questions? Please contact us now.